Fri 4 January 2008, Financial Times

Must wife pay UK tax on Australian sale?

By Steve Lodge
My wife is Australian by birth and non-domiciled in the UK. I was born here. We have been living in the UK since May 2006. My wife is the sole owner of her house in Australia, which had been her place of residence for 20 years until moving to UK. That property is now rented out. If it is sold before May 2012 it will not be subject to Australian capital gains tax. But will it be subject to UK CGT if it is sold prior to – or after – April this year?

Similar articles

(what's this?)

ordered by similarity (order by date)