Wed 24 September 2008, The Herald

Brideshead re-invented

The final few miles that wind towards Castle Howard are almost as spectacular as the great house itself. On the approach, turreted walls split the sculptured North Yorkshire landscape, which is garnished by looming arches that straddle the roads, and by an imposing stone obelisk that stands on a central crossroads between two avenues of lime trees. The house, which sits atop a crest surveying the valley beneath, is a Baroque structure with a crowning central dome, built between 1700 and 1811. Its biggest claim to fame lies in its cinematic rather than its architectural heritage.
Read the original article.
It was published by The Herald, which adheres to the PCC Code